Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My 15 minutes…

I have now had my 15 minutes of fame!  Yesterday, Monday November 15, I appeared on “Charlotte Today” a local mid-day show that highlights life and lifestyles in the Charlotte area.  I was asked to come on the show to decorate a tree and give holiday decorating tips.  It was a fun and interesting experience!

I hardly slept the night before the show.  Not because I was nervous about being on TV, but so afraid that I was either going to oversleep or forget something that I needed for the tree.   Laying in bed, at 3am, my mind was reeling.  I was going through the trunk of the car in my mind.  Was I sure that I put extra floral wire in a bag?  What about extra extension cords?  I did check those lights to make sure they worked didn’t I?  Ugh!  I needed rest and my overworked mind was not going to allow it!  I am sure you have been there…

So, my elves  and I arrived EARLY (something that usually doesn’t exist in my world) and got right to work.  Just as planned, we got the lights on the tree (they did work, thank goodness) and I positioned the tree topper and wired it into place, with the floral wire that I did remember to put in my bag!  This part of the process was videotaped to be shown during my interview. 

Once this part of the process was complete, we were able to just hang out and wait.  It was interesting to watch everything going on around us.  John Wendel, the meteorologist for the station, was  doing weather updates.  And yes, it’s true, there is no real map- he stands at a blank, green board and gives his report.  Very cool.

Once air time was upon us, the staff was so great.  They let me know exactly what to do and when to do it.  They made me feel very comfortable on the outside, although on the inside the anxiety was beginning to build a little. 

As soon as the interview began, I really forgot about being nervous and just started answering questions.  I mean, why be nervous about talking about decorating a Christmas tree?  It’s something I love to do and have already decorated 7 in the past 2 weeks! 

Colleen Odegaard and Rob Tanner, the hosts of the show, could not have been more accommodating.  I felt that I was just talking to friends in a room that just happened to be full of lights and cameras!  Mary Alvarez, Executive Producer of Local Programming for the show, was wonderful.  She went over everything with me beforehand and gave me very detailed information that made me feel well-informed and prepared for the interview.

Overall, I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.  In the end, all the nerves and anxiety were really for nothing.  Things worked out without a hitch, which doesn’t surprise me.  You see, this was in the works for me long before I could even think or imagine it.  I have Someone who is working things out, behind the scenes on my behalf.  His favor on my life makes me realize how small I really am and how big He really is.  How awesome!

In  case you missed the show, I have included a link to view the video.  Enjoy!  Thanks for taking the time to read about my fun day!  http://www.wcnc.com/charlotte-today/Take-the-hassle-out-of-tree-decorating-108191789.html

I can’t close without thanking my “elves".  My mom and best friend were so gracious to rearrange their days to help me.  I could not have done it without them and I owe them BIG time!  Much love and thanks to them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment